Friday, February 15, 2013

Are You Pregnant?

When I have doctors appointments with Dr. F (my GI doctor in case your new here) I always get kinda excited.  Of course, I have the mixture of feelings as well, scared and nervous. But for some stupid reason I get all giddy thinking I'm going to hear something wonderful, like oh here, there's this new procedure and I can fix you! I have no clue why I anticipate this or why such a thing would even cross my mind when I know better.  I know there is no cure, I know I have GP and no one can just fix this or make me better right away. But it never fails I always think that way.  Well, I went yesterday and guess what? He doesn't have a cure. Shitty! 
My last test, the upper scope went well.  Everything looked pretty good.  There was some swelling seen in my esophagus and stomach but nothing he seemed concerned about.  Negative for the tests he tested me for, I thought so.  That's a plus, as the last thing I need is to be "allergic" to food (even though I kinda already am, or that's what it feels like).  So from here he's done a little bit of a med switch/add on to see if it relieves some of the ridiculous gas pains and bloating I get, everyday.  Sometimes they make me feel like crying hiding in the corner in a fetal position. Eh, maybe I do that anyway.
 The last appointment with Dr. F he changed my GERD medication as I stopped taking the one he put me on before because it was freakin' pointless.  It seemed to make things worse I'm not sure if that was in my head or not but it made the sensation of something stuck in my throat, or my 'throat pain' much worse.  The new medication seems to have helped me some, as my throat bothers me less and my nausea is NOT AS OFTEN! Ya hear that?!  Ugh, such a relief. (Although I say that today, I'm probably in trouble, tomorrow)  I'm nauseous a lot.  Like more often then not, like I am right now. There is really nothing worse then the feeling of having to get sick. All. The. Time.  That's one reason I HAVE to watch what I eat, some greasy icky food makes me sick almost instantly.  It's a fun time! Not.  People also often hear me complain about this, a lot. As -- it has become, a part of me.  
This leads me to the question I get, a lot. I bet you already know. "Kari, are you pregnant?"  Nope, not pregnant, just nauseous, all the time, like its my job.  I think when ever a female is nauseous or craving something it's almost always assumed that one is expecting.  Ive come to the conclusion that its a ridiculous assumption. :) 
GP brings the nausea, and it is not really known why people with GP suffer with it the way they do.  When I saw my dietitian she explained to me that after you eat something and you feel that nausea that means "you should not eat it", if I lived by that rule I don't even want to know where I'd be today! What she told me was not true. At all. Lots of people with GP are nauseous and it's not necessarily because of something they (I) just ate.  I get nauseous when my stomach is empty!
 (So, those of you who have health issues and regularly see many doctors or health care providers please, don't believe *everything* they tell you, especially if its someone like a dietitian telling you about your disease/ condition- when their not a doctor. 
I'm kinda rambling. I've been all over the place today. I'll end here. 
<3 
(Side note: if you've asked me the pregnant question, please don't feel offended, even one of the nurses at my regular GI asked me the same question one day. Its okay. Hopefully someday soon I can gladly say "yes, yes I am") ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment