Thursday, February 28, 2013

I have Gastroparesis

I have not explained GP well throughout my posts.  Because this is about my life and journey with GP, I guess I could maybe - give a definition and some of the symptoms? Maybe write them out so it's a little easier to understand?  As, I do really wish everyone to know this disease, acknowledge it, know that sometimes when you look at someone they could be sick.  There are "invisible" diseases.  You know how people say "smile at everyone you meet eyes with, as it may make their day?" So true! If you work in the medical field and you don't know about GP please, please read about GP.  
We need the awareness.

Gastroparesis: 
Gastro means stomach and paresis means paralysis. So together = Paralysis of The Stomach.  With Gastroparesis the stomach muscles don't work correctly or at all.  Causing food to sit in the stomach or very slowly be digested. 

Symptoms: 
The symptoms of GP do differ between everyone.  [Some people have GP and have almost no symptoms of it]
-Nausea
-Fullness after a very, very small amount of food
-Vomiting
-Bloating
-Pain
-Fatigue
-Indigestion/ GERD
-Weight loss

Treatment: 
Medications (which don't always work and there are few)
Gastric Stimulator 
Botox Injections
And the only most effective 'treatment' known is following a strict and careful diet of low, fat low fiber foods. 
**(Anyone just diagnosed with GP I highly recommend starting a "food journal" and documenting what you personally can tolerate and what you can as everyone is different) [me, personally I find I tolerate more fat then I do fiber, fiber seems to really make my symptoms much worse] 

The exact cause of Gastroparesis is unknown.  It may be caused by an interruption of the nerves to the stomach. Gastroparesis is believed to be most common in people with diabetes. And can often be the result of a surgical procedure that was preformed around or near the main nerve in the stomach.  (I've actually heard of the nerve [it's called the Vagus Nerve] being severed during surgery, which in return, leads to Gastroparesis). 

I have Idiopathic Gastroparesis. Which means I have no underlying condition. 
I don't have diabetes
And I've never had surgery on or around my stomach. 

<3 



No comments:

Post a Comment